The Pittsburgh Penguins probably don’t have to win many fans back after the NHL lockout wiped away half of the season, but that won’t stop them from trying. The organization offered up a formal apology earlier in the week, but on Thursday took things a step further.
The Penguins announced that they will offer free selected concession items and 50 percent off all merchandise at the team’s first four games at CONSOL Energy Center.
Every fan attending those select games will receive a voucher for three free concession items, which include hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken sandwiches, nachos, popcorn, pretzels, salads and fountain drinks.
In addition, the Pens are offering half-off all merchandise at PensGear stores for those four games. The PensGear store in the main lobby of CONSOL Energy Center and the location at SouthSide Works will offer the 50 percent discount throughout the day on the first four home dates.
But that’s not all the Pens are doing for the fans.
The Penguins will hold a weeklong program of contests for fans to win exciting prizes leading up to the home opener. The contests will be held via social media and the team’s website. Prizes include:
- A pair of tickets to every home game during the 2013 regular season
- A road trip for two to see the Penguins play the Rangers in New York City (airfare, accommodations, tickets)
- Three autographed jerseys – one each from Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and Marc-Andre Fleury
- Four seats in the first row at the home opener, including dinner in the Lexus Club and limo service to and from the game
- Two five-game mini-plans
- Six lower bowl tickets to any regular season game
- $700 of merchandise at PensGear
Training camp sessions at CONSOL Energy Center will be open to the public with free admission.
The Pens don’t have to do all this, but it sure is a nice way of giving back to the fans that did not abandon the team during the lockout.
It’s just another sign of why the Pens are among the most classy organizations in all of sports.
Tags: Pittsburgh Penguins