The number 13 is widely considered an unlucky number, but maybe the year 2013 will be lucky for a pair of former Pittsburgh Steelers.
Former Steelers Jerome Bettis and Kevin Greene are both finalists for the 2013 Class for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and at least in the case of Bettis, ’13 could be his lucky number.
Bettis has now been a finalist in all three years that he has been eligible for the Hall of Fame and this year he is the only running back eligible.
Greene has been eligible for induction since 2002 and was also a finalist in 2012.
Greene probably has no chance at induction this season, but Bettis may; although he is in the same boat as players such as Tim Brown, Cris Carter, Jonathan Odgen, Will Shields, Charles Haley, Larry Allen and Michael Strahan, who are all Hall of Fame worthy.
I have to think Odgen and former head coach Bill Parcells could be the two favorites. If I had to guess on two more, it would be Allen and Brown, but the votes can go either way and Bettis should be close this year.
Here is a look at all of the finalists for the 2013 Class for the Pro Football Hall of Fame:
• Edward DeBartolo, Jr. – Owner – 1977-2000 San Francisco 49ers
• Kevin Greene – Linebacker/Defensive End – 1985-1992 Los Angeles Rams; 1993-95 Pittsburgh Steelers; 1996, 1998-99 Carolina Panthers; 1997 San Francisco 49ers
• Charles Haley – Defensive End/Linebacker – 1986-1991, 1999 San Francisco 49ers; 1992-96 Dallas Cowboys
• Jonathan Ogden – Tackle – 1996-2007 Baltimore Ravens
• Dave Robinson* – 1963-1972 Green Bay Packers; 1973-74 Washington Redskins
• Warren Sapp – Defensive Tackle – 1995-2003 Tampa Bay Buccaneers; 2004-07 Oakland Raiders
• Will Shields – Guard – 1993-2006 Kansas City Chiefs
• Michael Strahan – Defensive End – 1993-2007 New York Giants
• Aeneas Williams – Cornerback/Safety – 1991-2000 Phoenix/Arizona Cardinals; 2001-04 St. Louis Rams